I drive people to their destination; that is who I am. Remember, wherever we go, it is the blood of Caine which makes our fate.
The Cab Driver is a character in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. He is a mysterious Kindred that helps the fledgling by transporting them to various locations around Los Angeles, and helping them make their decision regarding their allegiance near the end of the game.
- It is strongly implied that the taxi driver may be Caine, the first vampire and ancestral Sire of all Kindred. Evidence to support this theory includes:
- His line about "driving people to their destination" before the final confrontation with LaCroix/Ming, as quoted above, contains a strong ironic undertone: as a mere cab driver, he does "drive people to their destination" in the literal sense, but as Caine, father of all vampires, the inherited blood connection with his Kindred also allows him to subconsciously "drive" their actions via manipulation of the , a fact he reminds the fledgling of via the "blood of Caine" reference.
- A Malkavian fledgling shows an immediate instinctual terror towards the cab driver, suggesting that their clan's unique insight has led them to recognize him as Caine. This is supported by several lines of dialog: demanding to know "WHERE ARE YOU TAKING US?" (with the "us" referring to all Kindred, rather than the personal "me"), results in the driver replying that he is "just a driver", and it is up to "you" (referring to all Kindred, if the analogy is followed) to "figure out where you want to be taken". The Malkavian fledgling can then retort with "But you've made that mistake before", to which he tersely responds "Yes."
- When speaking with the seer on the Santa Monica Beach, one line of dialogue mentions a smiling man (Smiling Jack), and the "Father" standing behind him. At the end of the game, a cutscene is shown with Jack watching the Venture Tower from afar and laughing, with the corpse of Messerach next to him; in the last moments of the game, the Cab Driver appears unexpectedly behind him, bearing a smoky black aura that no other character in the game displays, and repeating his earlier line: "Remember, wherever we go, it is the blood of Caine which makes our fate."
- The sound files containing the Cab Driver's dialogue audio during Out for Blood and onwards are all named with the prefix "Caine",but the sound files used for the Cab Driver before this quest are actually stored in a seperate folder called "Cabbie". This could imply they are actually seperate people, even though they use the same character model.
- When any character uses the Auspex trait, the Cab Driver has a purple aura, which is used for supernatural entities such as vampires.
- "Caine felt anger when his children fought / He discovered deceit when he saw them make word-war / He knew sadness when he saw them abuse the Children of Seth / Caine read the signs / In the darkening sky / But he said nothing." - , p.27.